Monday, August 15, 2011

Taormina...

Greek Theater in Taormina
After having to change our itinerary on the cruise because of bad weather in Monoco that closed the port down for the day, our first day ended up being an "at sea day".  The 2nd day we pulled into Messina, Sicily.  The girls and I had a balcony room which apparently was on the right side, because we woke up to an amazing view of the port every morning!!!


We traveled up the coast a little to a small town on top of seaside cliffs overlooking Mt Etna.  Taormina was a BEAUTIFUL Italian town with the old town feel.  It had cobblestone streets lined streets with cafes and shops.  We stopped at a cafe to get a espresso/cappuccino and gelato in the morning.  We walked around and went shopping most of the morning before heading to the Greek Theater before lunch.  I was able to find some Italian pottery that I fell in love with, so I felt that I had to get it.  (I'm still happy with my purchase)  The Greek Theater was holding a concert later on in the week, so it was setting up for it while we were there.  We were still able to get some good pictures with the Italian coast and Mt Etna in the background.
We stopped for lunch at a traditional Italian restaurant.  It was by far the best food of the trip for me.  Caitlin and I shared 2 dishes... homemade macaroni noodles with eggplant, tomato, onion, and basil & a pizza with spinach, tomato, mozzarella, and basil.  I would eat the pasta every day if I could!  During lunch we also got to enjoy a little music entertainment when a guy started playing a guitar and singing.
The two Italian guys serenading us at lunch.
some of the Italian pottery... i got a decorative plate. 

Amers in the town square.
Many of the alley-ways were filled with art or flowers!


I think this was the theme of our whole trip!
View from the Greek Theater
Catching a little rest in the Greek Theater

I love this one of us!!
A volcano of the Sicilian coast that was erupting as our
ship was sailing by!  Very cool to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment